Wednesday, January 9, 2013

little women

Here is the illustration I entered into the SCBWI's Tomie dePaola Award contest. The rules were that it had to depict a passage from either Little Women, the Adventures of Tom Sawyer, or the Yearling. It had to be black and white and in a spread format with the text on one side. It was also supposed to be unique!

I decided on this passage because it reflects a moment in time that was both important to the characters in the story but also to the entire nation during the civil war. Gathered together on Christmas, they thought of their father who could not be with them. I love this book and this scene just felt right to me. In order to make it my own and make it unique, I drew them as bunnies! Tomie dePaola didn't like that part, as he said so in his introduction to the winners. Alas, I did not win, although I am still proud of my little painting and wanted to share it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And darn tight you should be! It's lovely! I wondered about his winning choice, didn't seem unique to me in style - actually reminds me strongly of Fritz Eichenberg: http://theartofchildrenspicturebooks.blogspot.com/2010/12/childs-christmas-in-wales-by-dylan.html