Tuesday, August 14, 2012

bunny and bear

Summertime, watercolor, 2012
Sometimes you happen to create a character or two who really interest you. These little friends are Bunny and Bear and they are the main characters in a series I've been working on. For some reason I have grown fond of them, like friends, and am having a great time thinking up a world for them to live in. 

Bunny is curious and is always scheming and trying new things, like building a boat or organizing a pancake feast for the neighborhood. He doesn't mind taking a day off though, to just laze about and nap in a hammock! Bear is Bunny's best friend and the friend we all hope to have, dedicated and thoughtful, although he's got some quirks which make him unique and even more lovable. 

Stay tuned as I will be posting more of the adventures of Bunny and Bear!

Over Land, watercolor, 2012

Over Water, watercolor, 2012
Dance, watercolor, 2012

I also want to mention that I attended the Summer conference of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators last weekend and it was amazing. I learned so much and was incredibly inspired by the wonderful speakers. On top of that my portfolio received and 'Honorable Mention" at the portfolio showcase! If you are looking to become an illustrator or author of children's books, I highly suggest joining this society because it's a great resource and community. 

2 comments:

Sherry Lundquist said...

Mary, how exciting! I love your new characters, they are so adorable.

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

Congratulations! Your work is quite wonderful.